Blach views employees as valuable resources in which to invest and nurture over the long term. This has been its “investment strategy” for more than four decades and it is paying great dividends for both the company and its people.
Blach invests in its people through strong mentorship programs, its unique Blach Leadership Development (BLD) program, active participation on collaborative project teams, and through Blach University - a comprehensive internal training program. As part of this program, Blach assesses overall company and individual needs to provide specialized training.
Like any good training program, Blach-U is designed to offer courses on technical topics such as Project Management, Planning & Scheduling, Project Financial Reporting and LEED® to help advance technical building skills. The program also seeks to develop the whole person, not just the builder. So it also offers courses to help enhance soft skills like Presentation/Communication, Stress Management, Personal Financial Planning, Negotiating Skills and many others.
Blach offers a variety of other professional development and growth opportunities by:
- Offering extensive external and internal training, coaching and mentoring.
- Using well-known experts in organizational and process development, communication skills and public speaking for internal training.
- Providing LEED exam materials and facilitating study groups.
- Exposing employees to different types of projects and management styles.
- Encouraging and subsidizing professional development courses.
- Subsidizing related master’s degree work in CM, CE or business.
- Encouraging and supporting professional trade association memberships, including ASCE, ACI, AGC, IFMA, ASHE, AIA and USGBC.
- Promoting from within the company.
- Managing company growth at a rate that provides excellent middle and senior management opportunities.
How does Blach measure the return on its investment? Its people excel at what they do and are highly productive team members; they are leaders in the industry and in the communities they serve; and they are extremely happy.