CAW Architects and Blach were selected by the Guild to prepare a schematic design and feasibility study to assist the Guild in its decision-making and fundraising process.
For nearly five years, the trio worked closely to navigate the many regulatory, community and financial challenges associated with the project, resulting in the approval by the City Council to renew the 70-year-old site.
The Guild sits upon three and a half acres of wooded property in the heart of a residential area. The Spanish-Eclectic-style buildings, designed by well-known architect Gardner Dailey and artist Pedro De Lemos, were built around 1929 with wood-framed construction, ivory adobe plaster and heavy clay roof tiles.
Frescos adorn many of the exterior walls, and extensive landscaping and fountains complement the artistically designed buildings. Protecting the artwork and landscaping was a key factor during construction. The renovation included a seismic upgrade of the primary buildings, handicap accessibility upgrades throughout the site, new HVAC systems and some remodeling of the existing spaces.
The project was recognized by the California Preservation Foundation’s Design Awards as a “Significant and beautifully executed project....”, winning an award in the Rehabilitation-Large category.